November 5, 2013

Perspective:: Living Not For Yourself

This past week as been tough for our community here in Chico. A young college student, who we go to church with, was hit by a car and killed while riding her bike home. Janee was 20 years old. 

We had Janee and some of her roommates over for dinner about a month ago. I am so glad we got to have them over--it all started with celebrating "National Guacamole Day" so we all indulged in some tacos and homemade guacamole. We chatted about school, boyfriends, missions trips and life. Janee was a part of the team that we went to Guatemala with in the summer of 2009. 

Janee's life and death were not in vain. She lived for Jesus and she loved people well. My heart hurts but not for Janee. My heart hurts for the people who miss her on this side of heaven. A lot of people love her and a lot of young students are hurting badly. 

She touched lives, deeply. That is evident if you look at her Facebook page. She continues to inspire people to live not for themselves and to celebrate the little things as you don't know when He will call you Home.

As I rocked my sweet baby to sleep this afternoon, I prayed that I would learn to love like Janee loved. And that if something were to happen to my baby before I leave this earth, that I would have the peace that Janee's family has--they know that she is with Jesus. 

Janee, your life was beautiful. Because of you, I am aware that I want to hold my loved ones tighter and love them better. Thank you for modeling how to live for something bigger than yourself. Thank you for sharing the HOPE that we have. Thank you.


Tonight we will celebrate her life at Neighborhood Church at 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment